Teacher Trinity

I have had many jobs, and I have worked at home, in the office, at schools, in stores, coffee shops and more. I have recently jumped into a new role as an English as a Second Language Teacher with VIP Kids. I have taught English and I have taught kids before, but teaching with VIP Kids is a whole new ballgame.

I will be the first to admit that being an American living in Bolivia and teaching in kids in China to speak English while I am attempting to learn Spanish is humorous.  It is not a life I ever imagined, but I thrive when I am challenged and when I get to try new things. VIP Kid gives me the opportunity to use my new TESOL certificate while transitioning to our new life here in Bolivia. It gives me the freedom to work when I am able, and still be a full time stay at home mom.

In case you are interested in VIP Kid here is how it works. Once you are hired (which is a rather long and convoluted process) things are fairly simple.  You open up the half hour time slots you would like to teach and then as they fill up as parents select you to teach their kids English. All the lesson material is provided for you and you just look it over, prep on how you want to teach it, and then you show up and teach!  The classroom is whatever you make it. You can decorate the wall behind you and use the props and tools you find useful and that in combination with the online classroom VIP Kid provides is an excellent platform to teach eager students.

The online classroom consists of a 2 way video conference and a power point style interactive screen that you use to present the material to your kid. Each class is 25 min in length and the time flies by. One class you may be teaching about insects and the next about birthday parties, but no matter what the topic is you leave feeling rewarded because you are helping a kid grasp a new language which means that you are helping them expand their understanding of the World.

Like many jobs I have held, this job has it's challenges and its rewards, but for the time being the benefits are far outweighing the struggles. I get to do something I love, that I am good at and I get to have all the time with my own kiddo that I need. I can work from home, wherever home may be and I can reach into the lives of kids and encourage and equip them for the future. Not a bad side hustle and not a bad way to start the day as long as I also get a nice cup of coffee, of course.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing easy about leaving

Transition

Hard Things