ABC 123

Assuming most of my readers are in America I also assume that most of you probably read that title in English. But, it's not necessarily written in English. It could be in Spanish or Italian. Because we all share a similar alphabet and the same numbers.
Right now as I blog in the park my daughter is being introduced to a whole new way of interpreting the world around her. She may see A, B, C or 1, 2, or 3 but they no longer will mean the same as they did at her old school. And that's just the beginning.
As an adult picking up a 2nd or 3rd language is challenging and ss a kid it is easier, that's what they say. But no matter when you add a new language you are expanding your understanding of the world and how you interpret it. I know that Miss. K is being challenged, I know it's hard to not be able to say what you want to say and frustrating to not be understood. I get that it's a struggle to not be able to sound sharp witted and intelligent but I also know that these struggles are for a time, but the blessings and rewards that come each time you take on learning a new language and culture far outweigh the difficulties.
I'm proud of this kid. And if I'm being honest I'm proud of myself too. Picking up and moving to a new country isn't as easy as International House Hunters would like you to believe. Everyday we are learning, exploring, discovering. There is nothing seemingly simple here. I'm sure we will get to the day where we don't have to remember to only drink bottled water, not throw our toilet paper in the toilet, wear our shoes always, put on our bug cream daily, say buenos días with a kiss, not leave any food out, know when to hang laundry or take out trash. Soon all these things and more will become second nature. And even when they do, I hope we never stop learning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing easy about leaving

Transition

Hard Things