Noise

Our drive to ViruViru International Airport on Nov. 12th went better than we expected. Sure, there were still roadblocks to navigate our way around, but call it lucky timing or an odd answer to prayer (I am going with the latter) we ended up on the tail end of a funeral procession along the main route to the airport. And as you might expect the people at the blockades were much more inclined to let the bus with the casket through than  your average Joe.  We were stopped a few times and were required to show our airline tickets, passports and luggage, but overall the trip to the airport was less bumpy than we had mentally planned for.



What no one could have planned for was, that mere moments after making our way past security and customs I would look up to see Jeanine Anez being recognized on national television as the Interim President.  No sooner had I begun to wrap my mind around that big new flash than my phone began lighting up with messages from my school letting me know that classes would resume on Friday and teachers should be at school on Thursday. As I sat on the cold airport floor with my kiddo waiting for our plane to board I was fielding questions of how soon we could be back. To say my mind was overwhelmed was an understatement. Mind spinning with all the various options, questions,and decisions that needed answering but seemed to numerous to deal with via WhatsApp and while trying to keep a 5 year old entertained.

My feelings of guilt for leaving were boiling to the surface again as we boarded the plane, but they were still all mixed up with feelings of relief as the plane pulled away from the gate. Our flights and layovers were fairly uneventful, and shockingly quiet and cold. The old BOA plane must have had it's thermostat set to prepare us for our arrival in Kansas as we were still cold even wrapped in sweatshirts and blankets. Miami International was not much warmer, and when we got their the silence was deafening. I never really appreciated that phrase until this trip, where we were both shocked by the lack of noise. Having left a loud house full of people, and a city filled with noise even on a "quiet" day, but after weeks of protests, news reports constantly interrupting every conversation, fireworks being set off to mark the hours as well as any other reason, dogs barking and a barrage of sounds that had filled our every moment we were literally taken aback by the lack of noise. 



We spent a long time wandering the airport and aside from our plane leaving late, and missing our connection by mere minutes in Atlanta even after doing a "Home Alone style" run through the airport our trip was pretty easy. We were welcomed by my smiling parents who wrapped us up in hugs and warmer clothes and then took us out for a classic Kansas style BBQ meal.
Some of you have kindly asked for an update on Bolivia since our arrival here in Kansas and until today I felt like I was still just trying to process all that we had experienced in the past 21 days. Today, as I bought our return tickets I finally felt like a little bit of stress was taken away. I am still looking for the right words to tell the story, the on going story of revolution and political upheaval that we found ourselves swept up in. The thing is the story is still being written, everyday there seems to be a new plot twist, new characters are raised up as others begin to fade into the background. So, for today I will say we are trying to enjoy our time here in Kansas. Kiley has adjusted much faster than I have. I feel like I have been walking around in a haze. Nothing seems real. 

Santa Cruz, Bolivia seems to be getting back to normal more than other parts of the country, and while there are still very real threats of civil war and political uprisings we have made the decision to return home following Thanksgiving. We are thankful for the chance we have to be here away from the noise of it all, a chance to just be. We are also looking forward to the familiar sounds of home, especially the voices of the family and friends we miss. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing easy about leaving

Transition

Hard Things