Transition


We have been here in Santa Cruz, Bolivia for just 2 days and though not everything is how I expected our transition from one home to the next has been smoother than one would have imagined. I have gone many places and have even lived abroad before, but never have I introduced my child to a new home, let alone life in a country not her own.  I have to say I am very proud of our little family and our ability to go with the flow.
The past few months have been all about downsizing and saying goodbyes to everyone and almost everything she has ever known.  Now that I have the time to reflect I can say my kid has handled all of this with more grace and calmness than most adults I know.  Nothing against us adults but we tend to get attached to our things and our way of doing life, where as my kiddo has been able to hold on to her sense of excitement and adventure through it all.
I was fearful at times of starting fresh in a new country with a 3-year-old, especially without the help of my hubby who has stayed behind to work hard to give us this opportunity of a better future. I loved my move to Rome years ago but moving to a new country and culture as a single adult is much different than moving as a married woman leaving your spouse behind and with a kid in tow. But on day 2 of our time here I can already see my kiddo stretching her wings, testing her language skills and making friends with her cousins (primos) and I know that we did the right thing following God’s prompting to move here.
It is easy for me to get caught up in the things that are not as I had envisioned, but I am doing my best to go with the flow as I keep reminding myself that everything has a time and place and it will likely never be my timing in South America, but we have been given the gift of time and thus I do not need to stress about the little things. Instead I am working on being content and enjoying the little moments and newness that a new culture provides. Like this moment for example. A nap for Miss K while I start my blog out on our new terrace with the sounds of our new neighborhood all around.

Comments

  1. Looking forward to more of your writing. There is no button to "follow" your blog. Will you keep sending out the link through Facebook? I hope so. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing easy about leaving

Hard Things