Funky Town

Before moving to Rome, Italy I attended a missionary training program through the Evangelical Free Church of America (EFCA) ReachGlobal. There we were presented with a lot of really valuable training as well as took a lot of time to really get to know ourselves and how we relate to the world, others and God. I wish I could recall all the great information we were given, but alas most has faded with the passing of time. One of the lessons I do recall is that there are 4 stages that everyone experiences when moving cross culturally.

We may not all hit each phase at the same time or for the same length of time, but we will all encounter these 4 stages of adjustment; honeymoon, frustration, adjustment, and acceptance. The past few days I knew that I was in the midst of th frustration phase, but even though I knew it I could not shake it. Everything about our new country was annoying to me. The fact that I had just dealt with my second round of stomach issues (i'll spare you the details this time) and had a kiddo with vomiting was the catalyst that sent me into my dark hole of self pity and frustration with everything around me.

I could no longer see the adventure, I could only see the challenges of day to day life. I could not hear the birds sweet songs, only the sounds of dogs fighting in the street. I stopped enjoying all the various forms of sidewalk instead was over the piles of crap left in my path by aforementioned canines. I was not able to enjoy the sounds of laughter amongst cousins, rather wanted to pull my hair out from all the noise and non stop energy.

I knew I was in the pit of frustration, but I could not pull myself out of it. Yesterday was the worst, I was homesick and just wanted friends who I could chat with, grab a coffee with, and the freedom to jump in a car and go wherever I please whenever I wanted. I am not saying that I am fully out of my frustration phase, and experience tells me I will revisit these annoyances  more than once but I am thankful that today is much better. Today I feel like I can deal, I feel more in control of my life, I feel more peace. Nothing in Bolivia changed overnight, except my attitude. I awoke determined not to let this phase rule for too long. I knew we needed a change of pace, so I took up a family member on her invitation for Miss. K and I to spend a morning at her home.

We had a nice morning visiting, and a good homemade lunch and it was just the change I needed to get me out of my funk. Thanks to those of you who listened to my moaning and complaining the past few days, for those who prayed and those who put up with me in my frustration. I am hopeful that this next phase of adjustment will be much better, and I am thankful that this period of annoyance was short lived.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing easy about leaving

Transition

Hard Things